TOP NEWS

Can't see what you're looking for? Type in your keywords above to search The Style Floozie site.

22/03/2013

Roaring Into 2013, 1920s Style


I may be a little late with this, however, HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone. 

To those of you who have suffered from flu or any other bug that is currently going around at the moment, then my commiserations, and I hope you have plans to make up for it! For the rest of you, I hope your New Year celebrations were as good as mine.

So, why was mine so good? Well, think nice venue, great friends, and then, more importantly, think style! 1920s style to be precise, at a themed do at The Plough in Harborne. 




(Pictured: myself and my friend Kate made up and ready to welcome in the New Year)

There's a lot to be said about (nearly) everyone dressing up 1920s style. For a start, there wasn't a single chavvy or tarty sight to behold... heaven! Now, not to be critical of the way girls and guys generally dress for a night out these days, but for once it was nice to not even have to come close to having to avert my eyes from a female bum poking out from below its skirt or hotpants, or look at a guy dressed uber-casually in jeans, T-shirt and trainers thinking "it's such a shame, if he just made a little more effort to dress smarter, he'd look so much better".

The great thing was, everyone actually made a serious effort - guys dressed in suits, slicked back their hair, groomed their 'taches (or drew a rather smart one on in the case of a friend of mine). Girls went for the curled or waved hair, embellished headbands, full make-up (although it can be a little too much for everyday) and all sorts of lovely slips, tassled flapper dresses, sequins and stoles. It really gave the place a classy, stylish air, topped off by a great 1920s style band.

Now, the fashion in the 1920s for female was very much drop waisted dresses; not the most flattering for a person of my generally large buttocked physique. But, being both determined to do it properly, despite being on a 'it's the end of the month and I'm a week from payday so I'm skint' budget - I decided to get creative. I hit the TK Maxx sale, finding a gorgeous black sequin front, lace back top (fits with the slightly gothic edge to the 20s), along with a really quite horrible and damaged dress with two diamante bits of embellishment for a not-so-purse-pulling four pounds.

 A few snips, stitches and accessories later... et voila! 




The dress is a fantastically full, low slung skirt and embellished headband (with added white feathers), which teamed with the top, pearls and some sparkly accessories, making for a 1920s style outfit adapted for my body shape, and something I can take apart and wear again! 

I don't call myself a Style Floozie for nothing ;)

(6 January 2013)

0 comments: