TOP NEWS

Can't see what you're looking for? Type in your keywords above to search The Style Floozie site.

30/05/2013

PLUS size? or perfect size?


'Plus size'. I hate that term. Why? Because it holds connotations of being overweight, or 'curvy' as some people like to call it. Well, curvy I can cope with - you can be a size 8 and still have curves. If the term 'plus size' actually did refer to overweight/larger than average people, then I perhaps wouldn't have a problem. But when a major retailer decides to ditch their usually super skinny models (which, quite frankly about 2% of the population will ever look like) in favour of an equally beautiful model, yet with a healthier and more realistic body shape, and the media all goes "WOAH! H&M have used a PLUS SIZE model in their latest ad!", it annoys me. Yes, it's great that the media are celebrating this. but it's sad that they, and the modelling agencies, all have to give the girl a 'plus size' label.

The model in question is Jennie Runk from the US - a size 12. Just a size 12. And beautiful.



Now, forgive me if I'm wrong here, but if you wander down the high street and you find a plus-size clothes shop, it's likely to be Evans or something similar - you know, where the clothing starts at a size 16 or thereabouts and goes up into the twenty-somethings. Size 16/18, by the way, doesn't necessarily mean you're an an unhealthy size - we're all built differently. So why are we calling a model who looks perfectly healthy and of actually just below average size 'plus size'?

I'm going to throw something at you here. Instead of calling catwalk models with their generally unattainable lean physiques 'perfect' and size 12 models 'plus size',  why don't we change the way we look at it. I'll explain:

[Example] Size 6, 6' model typically labelled as 'perfect' by many a fashion house or magazine (I'm generalising here so don't penalise me please): Unless they're very lucky they probably have to be very strict on their diets and work out constantly to maintain their shape. No drinking, no cupcakes, no chips from time to time, no dairy, no wheat.... you get the picture. Incredibly hard, and I for one would not enjoy myself trying to maintain something that I am not meant to be.

[Example] Size 12, 5'11" model typically labelled as 'plus size' and not used for catwalk or high fashion ad campaigns unless the designer wants to cause a stir (again, generalising): this girl can eat what she wants within reason, can workout when she wants and probably has a great smile on her face. Word on the street too is that most men will probably fancy her because she has hips, breasts, a bum - something they can grab hold of without being pierced by a jutting out hip bone that's been starved of any fat cells for too long.

Which one would you prefer?

What isn't perfect about not having to worry that you've eaten one too many chocolates on the odd occasion, you've skipped exercise for a week (nearly two for me now - oops!) and your stomach's not quite completely fat free and rock solid? You can go out, enjoy yourself, shake your hips like Shakira and your butt like Beyonce and not have to worry about the extra calories in that extra glass of wine. And you know what? NO ONE will care. In fact, they're more likely to flock to you because you're having a good time, you're healthy, you're happy. Why would you give up all of that just to squeeze into a size six pair of jeans that no one's even going to be looking at anyway?

I look at it this way. I (pictured left) have hips, a bum, thighs, breasts (finally! They didn't grow too far until I hit my mid twenties - not in comparison to my sister anyway!) and thankfully a comparatively small waist, which I do feel quite lucky for. I have been there where I constantly work out and am obsessive over what I eat. I'm a little bigger now, but I'm more relaxed about what goes in my mouth and when I can fit in my running and exercise. My life is far more 'perfect' without those extra burdens I put on myself.

At the end of the day, do skinny girls really look that much better in a bikini than someone of a more average size who looks after themselves, takes a healthy, not obsessive approach to their food and focuses on enjoying themselves? Not really, no.  And actually, I quite like looking at other girls with curves because when they look good, it makes me feel better that I have them myself and reassured that actually, no, not everyone on the beach is going to be six feet tall and like a gazelle. Lucky for the few who are, but who really needs to be?

So, this 'plus size' term. Let's drop it, hey? I think it needs renaming: perfect size.

6 comments:

  1. I'm big and I'm beautiful. You go girl...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not enough bikini shots! Girls need to be confident

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that the term plus size isn't great. But I think what the media should be doing is embracing people of all sizes, and not choosing one over the other as the most ideal size and above all else, as you've pointed out, to promote being happy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a tricky subject, isn't it? It's a shame that all shops can't cater for all sizes. I agree with Bhav that the media and fashion as a whole should be embracing a diverse range of body types - I completely understand why there's quite a bit of 'skinny backlash' going on at the moment, but that's also not helpful (lots of my styling clients are under a size 12, but still have really poor body image) I think we just all need to learn to love our bodies, and hope that the media will follow suit!

    I completely agree that calling a size 12 model plus size is ridiculous! (even if that's a US size 12!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! Bhav and Emily Jayne, absolutely agree with you. There shouldn't be any particular 'perfect' size - I think what I'm trying to get at is your perfect size is what is healthy for you.

    (I think she is a UK size 12, but either way - bigger or smaller - gorgeous)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you going to show us your bikini?

    ReplyDelete