TOP NEWS

Can't see what you're looking for? Type in your keywords above to search The Style Floozie site.

01/05/2013

Piccolino al fresco - come rain or shine



Summer is on its way. Honestly, it is. So what better way, for those of us who like wining and dining on occasions, to get ready for summer than to check out those bars and restaurants in our fair city that have an outdoor terrace?

This was my exact thought last week when I was invited to come along to a preview of the new outdoor terrace that Piccolino, Birmingham, was about to launch. But then it rained. Oh, how it rained (OK, not that much, but too much to sit outside you would think), and it was cold.

That didn't stop me though, and off I popped to see what this new terrace had to offer.

Well, for a start, a tranquil setting in Oozels Square, Brindleyplace, with trees lining the pathways. To my delight on spotting the terrace I discovered that it was completely glass fronted, covered over and had very good outdoor heaters pointing down from the walls. Adding to that there was none of this typical metal or hard woven outdoor type seating. Instead low tables were tucked in with highly cushioned, large sofa style seating, which, despite being outdoor, is sheltered enough from the combination of glass side panelling and overhead 'hood' to ensure it remains dry, whatever the weather.



Now, I don't just go to these things to sample the seating. Obviously there were a few complimentary glasses of wine and oh-so-delightful canapes involved, which I was all too happy to submit myself to. And quite frankly I'm glad I did. 

I often, whether this is right or not , but I do, judge a restaurant, or catering company by their canapes. I figure if they are prepared to put the effort into these tiny morsels of food that are swallowed in a matter of seconds by most people, then the food they serve in general must be something to look forward to. There are a handful I can think of that come up trumps for me here, and I'm delighted to say that Piccolino is now one of them.

I certainly recommend a visit to anyone contemplating dining or drinking around Brindleyplace in the near future.

0 comments: