TOP NEWS

Can't see what you're looking for? Type in your keywords above to search The Style Floozie site.

22/03/2013

Next Season, According to Mr Selfridge


Now that 'Mr Selfridge' is on our screens (although I must confess I didn't watch it - instead I caught up on Twilight so I could see the latest released one... I know, I know), I think it's time to talk about a little trip I took to one of his iconic 'Selfridges' stores. In fact probably the most iconic store in Birmingham, based purely on it's widely recognised exterior design.

Back in December, myself and a few fellow bloggers were given a sneak peak ino the trends Selfridges Birmingham are, and will be helping you fill your new season wardrobes with. As much as I'd like to say I got to test drive some of these, unfortunately I didn't, although I did get a lovely smokey eyed mini make-over on the Illamasqua stand in the beauty hall, and a glass or two of prosecco and some lovely food courtesy of Itihaas in the foodhall (one of the more recent, and welcome additions - their restaurant in the Jewellery Quarter is fab).

So, what's on offer? Well, much to my delight I was already wearing a (slightly tamer) shade of one of the big colour trends for spring/summer this year: tangerine. For the full effect, look to Roland Mouret and Victoria Beckham and one of their super flattering dresses, and you're onto a winner.




Also to my delight, black, white, monochrome, shiny and sheer are set to be big news too, along with big, bold accessories, and some in one of my personal vices: snake.

Black and white, either seperately or together in monochrome have long been a favourite of mine. Crisp, sharp, and unless you're doing it in leggings or shapeless jersey/sweat styles (I'll let you off for duvet days) the cominaion, when done well can often be super-flattering. The monochrome also fits in with the geometric prints as seen on the catwalks of Marc Jacobs, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Missoni and Sportmax

White and black were both featured on catwalks in shiny and sheer fabrics, which you will find on the rails of Selfridges, as well as in the trouser (cropped and slim) and suit silhouette. Now, since I put on weight over the last few years, I have been a little scared of buying trousers. Having being dealt a generous portion of a body part called buttocks, I find trousers rather difficult to buy - particularly in a size I would like (as opposed to skirts, in which I can always find a much better fit). So as much as I like this trend, I think I need to take me own advice, which I would give to you all, and that is to get over the size label on your clothes, and look at the fit instead. There is no point in squeezing into something too small, as it will only make you look bigger, having the opposite effect of what you were hoping to achieve. 

You could of course become a runner which, count my words, soon gets you into shape. This is my plan for the next few months - driven partly by the fact I just signed up to a half marathon in April - my first in over two years!

Accessories I am pleased to say are big, bright and bold... my favourite was from the selection on offer on the top floor: Chloe, snakeskin with chain 'stitching' and handles.




For the boys, it was a 'Preppy Riviera' look: think pastel and white, tailored trousers or shorts, teamed with polo shorts and light coloured blazers.

Block colour, geometric and bold prints and shiny fabrics were also the order of the day, much as with female fashion (so those of you who like to dress 'his and hers' can do so if you wish!).

There was also an extension of the popular streetwear trend, to luxury streetwear - oversized jackets, tops, shorts, in luxury fabrics and luxury embellishment. A word of caution on this trend though - don't go overboard - it can be a hard trend to pull off if it is too different from your usual style!

All in all, I think the big trends from the s/s 2013 catwalks have filtered down well across the selection within Selfridges, and I certainly had a good giggle with my fellow bloggers during our preview evening.

As with any trend, make sure it suits you before investing, and if you're not brave enough to do block colour, or print (for example) head to toe, then don't. Do a couple of pieces, or just do the accessories. And remember, you don't have to spend a fortune. It's not what you wear, it's how you wear it. The pair of shoes I always get complimented on in the street at the moment were a tenner from Primark. There, I said it!

(9 Jan 2013)


0 comments: