TOP NEWS

Can't see what you're looking for? Type in your keywords above to search The Style Floozie site.

14/11/2013

Skeletons on the catwalk


Just scrolling through my Instagram stream before I went to bed this evening (as I do - what on earth I did in the times mobile phones could only make calls or text I don't know), I came across a couple of images posted by a US based fashion editor, of a couple of outfits from an Yves Saint Laurent catwalk show. Except I couldn't tell you what those outfits were because my attention was demanded instead by the frighteningly skeletal frames of the models wearing the clothes.

When will these designers stop doing this? Not only do these poor girls look like they're swamped by the clothes and about to keel over through starvation, but the clothes just look shapeless and no better than they would look if simply presented on a shop hanger. Hardly the way you'd want to present something you've worked so hard on for womanly, curved bodies to wear, surely? 

And just for the record, yes, I do mean poor - I don't believe for a second that any of these skeletal, sinewy looking models are naturally so thin if they're maintaining a remotely healthy lifestyle. And I think it's absolutely disgusting that any model agent, designer or otherwise should be allowed to put pressure on any of them to reach such a weight. 

This just cheapens any attempt the fashion industry makes to convince us - usually with a token "plus size" model here and there - that they're trying to change the way things are. Here, one of the world's most prestigious designers, turns all those efforts right on their head. 

What happened to the beautiful, slim and healthy look of the original supermodels such as Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista et al? They'd still look far better on the catwalk showing off designer creations at circa 40 years of age than these super SKINNY models nowadays do. 

I've said my piece. It probably won't make a morsel of difference, but one person continuing to harp on about it is better than none. 

 

0 comments: