TOP NEWS

Can't see what you're looking for? Type in your keywords above to search The Style Floozie site.

12/11/2013

Birmingham Town Hall Turns Purple for Pancreatic Cancer


This evening - Tuesday November 12th - Birmingham Town hall will be lit up in purple as part of a campaign by a small new Midlands support group to raise awareness of Pancreatic Cancer - a disease that has the lowest survival rate of almost every other form of cancer.

Currently the fifth most common cause of cancer death in the UK, the disease receives less than 1% of all research funding, which is what prompted the Midlands support group's  three founder members to set up in September this year - to work with all those who are touched by the disease in some way.

Laura Wilks, one of three founder members of the newly formed support group, said: “The five year survival rate is less than 4% and shockingly most cases are diagnosed too late for surgery. We all feel that awareness is absolutely key to making a difference and wanted to do something that would make people sit up and take notice."


You may be wondering why I am writing about this on my style blog. The reason is that I know how quickly and viciously pancreatic cancer can take hold of even the fittest of us. A neighbour from my childhood, and then in more recent years my former dentist were both diagnosed with the disease and in what seemed like mere months, both sadly lost their battle. These are the cases of all people I've known who have suffered from a form of cancer that have most shocked me.

They were both very fit, very healthy men - my neighbour was a policeman who pounded the streets on a regular basis and my dentist was a regular on the tennis courts at the David Lloyd gym I once worked at. 

I never saw the effects of the disease taking hold of my neighbour - perhaps thankfully, as I can always remember him as I knew him - fit and healthy. 

Unfortunately, when it came to my dentist (the only one I ever really liked and trusted, too) the disease took hold of him in the period of time between my six monthly check-up. I only found out because I'd raved so much about him to my dad that he'd switched his dentist to mine and then shortly after came his diagnosis. 

Months later, shortly before my check-up was due, I'd been to my dad's local pub for dinner and, just as we were leaving, there was a little commotion at the doors. In walked my dentist, held up by his two friends; skeletal, weak... I'm not sure I have ever been so shocked by anything in my life. At that point, you could tell there wasn't much time left. It was almost like his last chance to spend with his friends, at his local, as he would have done regularly for so long. He died a week or two later.

No form of cancer is pleasant for anyone - those who are going through it and those whose friends or loved ones are going through it. If by raising awareness of the types of disease and the support groups we can help, in however small a way, contribute to helping save or support just one life, any effort will be worth it.

The Town Hall will be lit up at circa 5.30pm. If you're in the area, do go along to show your support.

The support group in the Midlands is new, having only just set up in September. If you want to contact them or would like more information about what they do, email lauracwilks@gmail.com or visit the group’s website at http://www.pancreatic-cancer-support.weebly.com/.

For more information about Pancreatic Cancer visit www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk.


0 comments: